How to return a sidespin

Table Tennis Service Return

Last updated 8 years ago

joshua troy

joshua troy Asked 11 years ago

i played yesturday a professional player he served me a short sidespin into my backhand and i dont know how to return it, it always going away. pls.

Alois Rosario

Alois Rosario Answered 11 years ago

Hi Joshua,

You should watch where the ball is going when yo hit it.  If the ball goes off to the left then you need to angle your bat to the right and vice versa.

Notify me of updates
Add to Favourites
Back to Questions

Thoughts on this question

John Hamstra

John Hamstra Posted 8 years ago

I got beat by huge margins because I could not handle this guys serve sidespin.  The ball would miss the table by a couple of yards (left and right).  This was embarrassing.  I finally started to return some; however they were soft (not fast) returns.  My question:

If the balls is jumping off the table left and I angle the paddle right can I go after the shot (aggressive)?

Alois Rosario

Alois Rosario from PingSkills Posted 8 years ago

Hi John,

To start with you need to learn the racket angle you need to get the ball back.  This is important for your overall development.  Then you can start to hit the ball faster to get a more effective shot.

Don't worry, everyone goes through the same thing when they play against players with good serves for the first time.

Judy Whorton

Judy Whorton Posted 8 years ago

There must be some formula/rule for returning side spin balls.  For example, if a ball take a sharp angled bounce toward the right side of the table, does one angle the paddle toward the right or left to return it successfully?  I too often miss the table entirely when attempting such a return. Thanks very much for your advise.  Judy W

Alois Rosario

Alois Rosario from PingSkills Posted 8 years ago

Hi Judy,

If the ball is turning to your right then you should also face your bat to the right.  As a Premium member you can take a look at the lesson on Receiving Principles which will help.

Become a free member to post a comment about this question.