Backhand Sidespin Flick

Table Tennis Service Return

Last updated 11 years ago

Richard Xie

Richard Xie Asked 11 years ago

Hi, I've seen a serve-return that creates side spin and i would like to learn it. i can't recall the move's name but i do think that it starts with the letter 'j'. From what I have see, you go in toward the ball with your elbow high and forearm vertical and flicking your wrist to strike the ball, thus creating a side spin.(All of this is on the backhand side) I've tried to practice it but, it's just feels awkward and i don't think i'm getting the move right. if this move does sound familiar to you, could you please give some tips on how to approach mastering this move?


Alois Rosario

Alois Rosario Answered 11 years ago

Hi Richard,

Take a look at our lesson on the Backhand Sidespin Flick.  I am pretty sure this is what you are talking about.  If so, this lesson will help you.

Let us know if it is not the return you were thinking of. 

Notify me of updates
Add to Favourites
Back to Questions

Thoughts on this question

Richard Xie

Richard Xie Posted 11 years ago

ahh, yes, it is the move i was describing (i'm still confused about the name my coach told me) :P. thank you so much :)

Sean Morrissy

Sean Morrissy Posted 11 years ago

Richard, I've heard this stroke called the Chiquita stroke before (as in the bananas). Is that what you're thinking of?

Richard Xie

Richard Xie Posted 11 years ago

aha yes, that is the name, i probably mistaken the 'ch' for a 'j' when i heard it. thanks :)

Richard Xie

Richard Xie Posted 11 years ago

are the Chiquita and the backhand side spin flick the same thing? or are they just different names for the same move?

Alois Rosario

Alois Rosario from PingSkills Posted 11 years ago

Sounds like they may be the same stroke.

Become a free member to post a comment about this question.